Survey Highlights Prostate Cancer’s Impact on Social, Emotional Well-being

Survey Highlights Prostate Cancer’s Impact on Social, Emotional Well-being
From diagnosis to the side effects of treatment, the emotional impact of prostate cancer often outweighs its physical impact, a recent survey in the U.S. by Health Union found. “Prostate Cancer in America” surveyed prostate cancer patients and caregivers in support of the launch of ProstateCancer.net, a new platform to educate and connect people touched by this debilitating disease. A total of 953 people in the U.S. completed the survey between October 2017 and January 2018. Among the 928 men who took the survey, 35 percent had localized or early-stage prostate cancer; 31 percent had their disease spread minimally out of the prostate gland; and 33 percent had a disease that was advanced or had spread to other organs. Sexual dysfunction was identified as the symptom most affecting the daily lives of survey respondents. A total of 64 percent said they were not at all happy with their sex lives, and associated sexual and relationship issues with no longer “feeling like a man” or their partner leaving. Nearly 25 percent of participants who experienced symptoms like erectile dysfunction said it affected their daily experiences more than other symptoms, such as fatigue (20 percent) or overactive bladder (19 percent). In terms of emotional well-being, 62 percent of patients felt at least a little sad and 68 percent were at least a bit worried their condition could worsen. Nearly one in 10 patients said they had been diagnosed with anxiety or panic disorders (9 percent) or a mood disorder (8 percent), such as depression. Nea
Subscribe or to access all post and page content.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *