Metastatic Prostate Cancer Is Rising After Routine PSA Testing Drops, Study Finds

Diagnoses of metastatic prostate cancer in older men are on the rise after a record low in 2011, a new research study has found. Led by Weill Cornell Medicine and New York-Presbyterian researchers, the study was published in JAMA Oncology in an article titled “Increase in Prostate Cancer Distant Metastases at Diagnosis in the United States.” The

Knowledge is power when living with prostate cancer.

Get access to the web’s leading Prostate Cancer news & insights for as little as 16¢/day.
Subscribe or to access all post and page content.

7 comments

1. Chris O'Neill says:

“The new USPSTF guidelines stopped recommending routine prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing”

The USPSTF guidelines never recommended routine prostate-specific antigen (PSA) testing.

Your statement implies the USPSTF recommended PSA screening at one time which is false. It would have been far more informative to say the USPSTF guidelines changed from insufficient evidence for recommendation (I grade) to discourage the use of this service (D grade).

“Since PSA screening was introduced, overall deaths from prostate cancer decreased by 50 percent.”

The overall death rate from several cancers has decreased since that time even though most of them did not introduce screening in that period. And a lot of the decrease in prostate cancer deaths could not have been due to PSA screening because the prostate cancer death had already decreased by 20% by 1999 – too soon for PSA screening to have had any noticeable effect. Observational statistics such as the above statement are affected by confounding variables so are highly misleading.

• Tim Bossie says:

We could say that most stats are based on confounding variables and highly misleading about a great many things. We only base our reporting on the reports given through the journals and publications within the scientific field.

2. Jerry Wallace says:

I had 6 treatments of radium that ended in July 2017. My PSA has risin from approx. 6.0 to 42.3 in 8 months. My question is what is next.

3. Jerry Wallace says:

I began my journey in 2010 with prostate surgery. Then 18 months later I had radiation. 2 years later started on Xtandi for approx. 4 months. It quit working and started on zytega. Took a sterion with both of these. Still on Zytega. Lupron shot every 3 months. Fighting hard on this cancer.

• Tim Bossie says:

Keep fighting hard Jerry! Cancer is an insidious and relentless disease. Stay strong and continue with the medications. You’ll get there!

• Victor R Nunez says:

What was your PSA at pc recurrence? What is it now? Are you given periodic CT scans for cancer? I had radiation plus seeds for my pc. Then about 4 years later PSA went up to 2.
      Now On Lupron plus Zytiga plus generic form of Avodart. PC cancer detected on scan in lymph node. Will undergo radiation to hopefully kill it there.

4. Victor R Nunez says:

Please tell me why Provenge sometimes stops killing pc cells?I thought the modified cells are like an inoculation against
    measles. Once you get the Provenge treated cells back they stay in the body seeking out pc cells.So why do they not kill all the pc cells?