Explaining Radiation Therapy for Cancer Treatment

In this video from Macmillan Cancer Support, oncologist Dr. Vincent Khoo from the Royal Marsden Hospital in London, U.K., talks about using radiation therapy (or radiotherapy) to treat cancer. MORE: Six symptoms of chronic fatigue Dr. Khoo explains that radiation therapy uses high energy X-ray beams to target cancer cells and stop them from growing. Radiation therapy can

Knowledge is power when living with prostate cancer.

Get access to the web’s leading Prostate Cancer news & insights for as little as 16¢/day.
Subscribe or to access all post and page content.

Tagged , , .

Wendy is a proven blogger and social media manager who has helped to build online communities for businesses and organizations. She currently heads the website’s social outreach online through social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

8 comments

1. Lawrence Glickman says:

This is a very very incomplete description of radiation/radio therapy. Some new techniques require only a few treatments. There are many different type of machines some using robotics and MRI assist. Many Doctors merely explain the machine and treatments that they have at hand. Beware!!

• Tim Bossie says:

That’s true Lawrence, this is just one explanation… one quick explanation. There are newer machines and robots that can do amazing things as technology continues to evolve.

2. Thomas B Fowler says:

I agree that this post does tell us much, if anything. I have received the 8 week therapy…and I am having difficulty recovering….what is going on?

3. Harold Grieves says:

It would be helpful to know which institutions have the best machinery. One thing I find difficult is picking the right place to go. I live in a rural area, have very low grade cancer so have some time. Hopefully my problems won’t progress, but if they do I want to have a strategy formulated about where to go and how to approach it. These days there is more to picking a clinic than just the Dr’s that practice there. It’s also the machinery and the other resources.

4. Michael J Madrid says:

Pathrtically simplistic and avoids QoLissues.Should be removed for being to simplistic.I know a hell of lot more.This is for first graders.Utter Briish BS and that does not stand for Bachelor of Surgery.

5. Thomas B Fowler says:

The post promised explanation…but it does not explain the effects of radiation therapy. Please find someone to follow this up with a good article…please!