Tapeworm Medicine Stops Prostate, Colon Cancer Cells from Growing, New Study Finds

A medicine that is commonly used against parasites like tapeworms contains a substance that stops prostate and colon cancer cells from growing, a new study found. The substance, called nitazoxanide, decomposes a protein called beta-catenin, which is required for increased cancer cell proliferation and survival, and is often involved in resistance to cancer treatments. The

Knowledge is power when living with ovarian cancer.

Get access to the web’s leading Ovarian Cancer news & insights for as little as 16¢/day.
Subscribe or to access all post and page content.

1. Lawrence Glickman says:

Thank you for publishing this article on nitazoxanide. As frequent readers may recognize I have many times posted on Prostate Cancer. By coincidence I contracted a parasite in Colombia South America and nitazoxanide was the preferred treatment there. As always I looked up the chemistry before taking it and saw the early research on its potential anti cancer properties. I have been taking it for over a year in small doses and the only side effect is that it will turn your urine a yellow color. This is not a problem for me as I am also on a diet and supplement program to prevent Prostate cancer which runs in my family and caused the death of my Father. My own theory on Prostate cancer is to disable and kill the cancer cells from more than one angle to prevent adaptation. There are many proven supplements like boron and now nitazoxanide that can be of great help.

• Tom Fontana says:

Thanks for leaving a comment Mr Glickman about nitazoxanide. I am curious as to the dosage you take. You indicate small doses for over a year and wondered what that consists of? I’ve looked up the dosage for it’s intended use (Cryptosporidiosis) and it’s 500mg with food twice daily for 3 days.

Thanks again.

• Alice Melão says:

Dear Donna, It is not fully known the therapeutic potential of this drug to treat cancer. This study only showed that the drug can block cellular signals that are known to promote prostate and other cancers. Additional studies are still needed to give a more suitable answer to your question.

2. kanzan says:

I found it at alldaychemist for .25/pill , with above description I couldn’t resist trying it to deal with my rising PSA. I’m combining it with others, but really can’t see waiting on clinical trials that don’t seem to appear for these generic drugs. (Some other drugs I’m currently on are Metformin,Celebrex,Simvastatin, among others…) My inspiration is Dr. Charles/Snuffy Myers, and
    Jeffrey Dach MD. Wish me luck….

• Lawrence Glickman says:

Thanks for finding a cheap source of nitazoxanide. I have been using it with other supplements like boron, beta sitasterol, milk thistle, BHT, monolaurin and flower pollen, I have lowered my PSA by 20%. My theory is that there are many pathways that need to be blocked to starve prostate cancer cells from mutating or developing resistance to one supplement.

3. Anita Markovska says:

Dear Alice Melão,

I read some Clinical trials for Niclosamide in CRPC. Are the Nitazoxanide and the Niclosamide the same drugs?
    Thanks a lot! 🙂

• Alice Melão says:

Dear Anita,
      Those two drugs are not the same. They have different chemical formulas, which is going to affect their activity. Niclosamide is mainly used to treat tapeworm infections, while nitazoxanide holds a more broader activity as antiviral and ant parasitic drug.